Dosimetric and radiometric control of the background radiation at the NSC KIPT is done by the Radiation Safety Service of RREPL. The periodicity, fullness and features of dosimetric measurements are outlined in the specially developed regulations – the System of Dosimetric Control (SDC) at the NSC KIPT. Taking into account the requirements of the SDC, we take the following kinds of measurements:
- Radiation dosimetric control at industrial and experimental equipment sites:
- measurement of the equivalent dose rate (EDR) of:
- continuous and pulsed x-ray and gamma-radiation from 0.01 µSv/h to 1 Sv/h (the energy range of gamma-radiation is from 15 keV to 10 MeV);
- neutron radiation from 1 µSv/h to 104 µSv/h;
- measurement of the flux density (FD) of:
- neutrons form 1 cm-2min-1 to 3·104 cm-2min-1;
- alpha-particles from 1 cm-2min-1 to 3·104 cm-2min-1;
- beta-particles from 1 cm-2min-1 to 105 cm-2min-1;
- control of the degree of surfaces contamination;
- control over the air in the work zone of I-III class of works;
- o control of the contamination of the skin and overalls of employees working in the premises of I-III class:
- EDR of gamma-radiation from 0.1 µSv/h to 1 mSv/h;
- FD of alpha-particles from 0,1 cm-2min-1 to 104 cm-2min-1;
- FD of beta-particles from 10 cm-2min-1 to 3·104 cm-2min-1.
- using DTG-4 detector in the range from 0.1 mSv to 10 Sv;
- using TLD-500K detector in the range from 0.05 mSv to 10 Sv.
- detection of RS in emissions from ventilation systems;
- detection of RS in the atmospheric air;
- detection of RS in precipitations and sediments;
- detection of RS in wastewater, drinking water and special sewerage:
- measurement of the volume concentration of long-lived alpha-active aerosols in the air: the lower limit of detection is 0.01 Bq/m3.
- evaluation of the volumetric activity of radionuclides by high-resolution
gamma-spectrometry techniques. The minimum activity which can be measured in the geometry of
Marinelly using a vessel with volume of 1 l per 3600 s is:
137Cs – 1,2 Bq, 226Ra – 7 Bq, 232Th – 7 Bq, 40K – 27 Bq.